Understanding your rights and responsibilities as a renter is an excellent way to start when you are looking to resolve a problem with your tenancy. These fact sheets and checklists may help you resolve the issue.
- These fact sheets provide general information that is not intended to provide or replace legal advice about your particular circumstances.
- While changes were made to the Residential Tenancy Act effective 1 July 2013, some of the old laws may actually still apply to you. If you entered into a lease prior to 1 July 2013, the old laws may still be valid. In which case we strongly encourage you to get appropriate legal/tenancy advice from our advice line or your local tenancy service.
Starting a Tenancy
- Property Checklist - A list of things to look for when you’re viewing rental properties.
- Making an Application - Everything you need to know about applying for a rental property.
- Starting a Tenancy - A summary of the process of renting your home.
- Tenant's Checklist - Handy tips so you know what to expect and you cover all the steps.
- Sharing the Rent - Sharing the Rent – Understand what house-sharing means for your legal rights and responsibilities.
- Residential Tenancy Databases - Landlords and property managers use these to check your rental history.
- Security Bonds - Information on bonds, with a handy checklist.
- Property Condition Report - When you move in and out of a rental property you have to complete this report.
- Rent and Fees - Explains all the fees you will be up for when you rent your home.
During a Tenancy
- Rent Increases - Helps you understand the process.
- Getting Behind in Your Rent - What steps you can take to try to avoid having your lease terminated.
- Maintenance and Repairs - Who is responsible for what.
- Mould - If you have mould in your rental home, find out who is responsible and what to do.
- Security and Safety - Covers house security, safety switches and smoke alarms.
- Privacy - Find out what your rights are for landlords entering your rental property.
- Utilities - Information on services to your home such as gas, electricity, water and sewerage.
Ending a Tenancy
- Ending Your Tenancy - The steps to take to end your rental.
- Renting a Home That's up for Sale - Information on how you are affected if the home you rent is being sold.
- Breaking Your Lease - What to do if you want to move out before the time is up on your lease.
- Being Evicted - Understanding your rights when your Landlord terminates your rental agreement.
- Abandoned Property and Goods - What happens if you’ve left things behind.
- Getting Back Your Bond - Information on getting back your security bond when you move out.
- Template letter:
- Getting Illegally Locked out of Your Home - Information on getting back your security bond when you move out.
Going to Court to Resolve a Rental Issue
- Before Applying to Court - Things to consider to help you decide on going to Court.
- Applying to the Magistrates Court- The process of applying to go to Court and what it all costs.
- Preparing to go to Court - Helpful information to help you prepare to go to Court.
- Court Process - What to expect when you go to Court.