Get Help

When you rent your home you have clear rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act. But if a problem happens, it can be hard to stand up for yourself if you don’t have all the information. That’s where we come in. Tenancy WA can offer information, advice and support to help you to resolve your tenancy problem.

Solving your tenancy problem

There are 3 steps to take so you can resolve the problem you’re having with your rental property.

In a lot of cases you can resolve the issue yourself when you understand more about it. We provide many fact sheets that outline various aspects of renting, what can go wrong, who is responsible, what the correct process is, and how to fix problems.

Before you contact us for advice, it's best to read the appropriate fact sheet. If you don’t know which fact sheet to read, take a look at our common problems page for suggestions.

If your problem is not covered by one of our fact sheets, or you’ve read them and still need more information, you are welcome to contact us for legal advice. If you need to access our legal advice service, go to our Need Advice page.

Tenancy WA has recently introduced a fee for our legal advice service of $40. We will waive (remove) this fee if you are receiving Centrelink benefits or are in financial difficulty or a crisis - please talk to us about your situation.

If you require advice in a language other than English, please phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (known as TIS) on 131 450 then ask to speak to Tenancy WA.

If you are hearing-impaired please contact us so we can make arrangements to assist you.

Depending on your situation and the problem you are experiencing you may require more support. After we have spoken to you on the advice line we may refer you to a Tenant Advocate who can help with more personal support such as writing letters, applications and going to Court. Tenant Advocates are located around the metropolitan area and in many regional centres. You can find more information on the Find a Tenant Advocate page of this website.